Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Freelancer Journal Day One: "It Comes and Goes..."



     Hello readers,


     So I've been working as a full time freelance writer for, oh, about a week now. I promised on my Facebook (which I just started using again) that I would be chronicling my journey into the wide world of writing each and every day.

     Yeah, that didn't happen.

     Still, I've decided, just like the original "Success Baby" up there, to celebrate my foray into this wide world of writing by actually starting this journal/blog/place for me to talk to myself back up again. So, welcome one, and all (probably one). This blog is going to transform over the coming days, months, and years if we're lucky, into a place where writers can come to read about my highs, my lows, and my "eh" moments. I'm not here to brag (at least not all the time) and I'm not here to talk down to you. No, I'm here to show you my thoughts, my journey, and invite you to share your own.

     So, how did I start on this path? Well, I've wanted to be a writer since I was in middle school. Not even kidding. We had a fire drill one day and I was forced to sit outside my middle school with a composition book in one hand, and a brooding hatred for my English teacher in the other. We had always joked she was probably some kind of demon, but I decided to make that a reality in the pages of my composition book. And so, under the blazing sun in seventh grade, I wrote my story (that I remember).

     I had written stories before mind you, but this was the first one I remember. I know I won some kind of contest in elementary school for writing a story about velcro and Mars, or something like that, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was about. My composition book story started in ancient greece, showing a father and his son driving a demon out of their mother, only for the father to be killed and the son turned to stone.

     Fast forward to a modern era, and now that statue has been put on display by a teacher in the school. Meanwhile, the evil English teacher is suddenly possessed and proceeds to burn down her portable/classroom with her students in it! She then raises them from the dead and the only people who can stop here are some rag tag survivors who need to find a way to revive the man trapped in the stone statue. Sounds awesome, right?

     I don't know what happened to that story, but I do know that all of my greatest ideas flowed from that first spark of insanity. Today, I still chase that dream, and while I don't have that exact story, I have plenty more on the way.

      I don't want these posts to be overly drawn out, so we'll stop there for now. Tomorrow, we'll talk about how I got into the freelance industry, and how you can follow your dreams as well! The best part? It's not a pyramid scheme! Yay!

      Regards,
     Bradley "Yeldarb" Ramsey 

No comments:

Post a Comment